[SC.LUG] Backing Up & Transferring Data

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Fri Sep 14 11:35:45 BST 2007

Hi All,

I'm about to do a backup of all essential stuff and have three
questions.

1) 	What programs work best for scheduled backup to DVD or external
Drive? I have a busy life and need a system to either do it
automatically or remind me to put in a disk.

2) 	Although this backup will be to DVD, I am looking at external Hard
drives or NAS drive for the future. Are these always linux compatible or
are there special features I need to look for?

3) 	I'd like to back up my evolution mail, address book, notes and
Calendar Data, plus my Firefox Bookmarks and Thunderbird Mail. The
problem I have is that when I search for any of these, I don't just have
one file called 'bookmarks', for example. I have dozens spread over many
different directories. can you advise on the file paths for all the
above so I can copy and transfer these files? I'm sadly unfamiliar with
the linux filesystem (up to now!).

All help on these appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Matthew