[SC.LUG] Distro Upgrades & Re-installation

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 18:53:27 BST 2008

Richard Smedley wrote:
> RPMs and DEBs contain information about package dependencies.
> The info in a .deb is more extensive, and the APT (Advanced
> Package Tools) system does a better job of resolving dependencies
> and handling updates. Slackware's system doesn't really come into
> it - I wouldn't recommend Slack for a non-technical user.

This is exactly the answer I was after, and pushes me in the direction
of the .deb based distros. Anything that makes things easier for the
non-techncal end user has to be a plus point.

As regards APT I understand it's now available on RPM distros as well.

I only mentioned Slack because Zenwalk looked really good (as featured
in Linux Format, it's supposed to be the easy to use variant of
slackware), but I was not successful at installing it first time, and
haven't got round to attacking it again just yet. Not so easy to
install, then!

I also tried burning a DSL live version onto CD from the LXF disc. The
burn seemed successful but the PC booted into my usual distro, so I was
wondering what I did wrong!

Matthew