[SC.LUG] Distro Upgrades & Re-installation

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 19:26:56 BST 2008

Rather flimsily handing this on this thread as some of the issues may be
related...

Due to a faulty monitor we've had a couple of power failures at home and
this morning woke up to discover everything was off. Got the power back on
and then discovered that this machine had booted but seemed to have the /
partition as read-only

Rebooted (running mandriva 2007) and it complained about errors on / and
forced a run of fsck during which there were far too many errors. Maybe I
should have noted them - but I need a computer for that ;-) and it was pre
7:30am! When it eventually checked out that partition and rebooted there
were a few services (imap, http..) that weren't running - various files
having been corrupted beyond repair.

I then did various permutations of

  rpm -qf 'some file'
  rpm --verify that_package
and then risking a bit
    rpm --upgrade --force that_package

off the install dvd. I then fiddled with a few file permissions which
appeared to have got munged and things (touch wood!) appear to be back -
though I've just seen and repaired crack-attacks(!) missing dependency upon
	 /usr/lib/libaa.so.1.0.4

currently running an rpm --verify -a
to try to smoke out any more!

I hope these are useful disaster recovery suggestions - or should I have
never done it this way?!

I suspect a reinstall (definitely not an upgrade now!!) of a later version
of mandriva has moved a little up the priority list! As well as a close eye
on output from hdparm.

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/