[Fwd: Re: [SC.LUG] Backing Up Query]

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Fri Feb 8 09:46:49 GMT 2008

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Matthew Tolley <matthew at matthewtolley.co.uk>
To: Richard Smedley <smedley358 at btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [SC.LUG] Backing Up Query
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:33:21 +0000

> > My Ubuntu 7.10 has become intolerably 'buggy' and I'm planning a
> > re-installation after I've backed up my stuff.
> >

> What sort of `buggy'?

Sorry I forgot to say.

The two major problems are:

1) Every few weeks the same fault recurs, which is that the system
'forgets' its DNS settings. I keep having to re-set them manually (which
is annoying) 2 or 3 times per hour. Twice this problem has fixed itself
for a few weeks (the last time was yeaterday) but twice it has come
back.

I don't have the knowledge to fix this unless I get step-by-step
newbie-style instructions. For example, one LUGger suggested I check
cron, which is fine but I wouln't know where to find cron and what to do
with him if I did find him! Does he take sugar in his tea?!

Perhaps you could suggest a linux course I could go on, I'm beginning to
think I might need one.

2) In the last week a new problem has developed whereby Ubuntu won't
print my openoffice documents until I restart both the printer and the
PC. Very annoying indeed.

Help with fixing these two would make a huge difference.

Best wishes,

Matthew