[SC.LUG] Backing Up Query

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 8 09:46:05 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 09:34 +0000, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> > Also there will be history, cookies, etc., which you may
> > also want to copy.
> >
> > Simplest is to copy the lot onto your back-up disk:
> > cp -a ~/.mozilla/ /media/BackUpDisk/WhateverDirectory/
> >
> > and then copy it back after re-install (you can back up
> > the installer's .mozilla first).
> >

> It seems all my backup needs would be covered by backing up the whole
> /home/ directory.
>
> Is this right?

Assuming you're still missing reply-to-list I'm answering this
one here, and forwarding the other one to the list:

If you have the time and space, yes, back up all of /home
However you may need other files.

E.g. If you have a dual-boot set-up, you may wish to take
a back up of your boot-loader's conf file- possibly /boot/grub/menu.lst

There are files under /var which may be useful, depending upon your
distro, apps, and what you use your computer for.

Some of the config files under /etc too.

But don't let that hold you up, for a basic Ubuntu desktop
machine, backing up /home/whatever should be enough.

Morris Minor Convertible for sale:
www.goodgnus.org/mmconvertible4sale/
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/29129