[SC.LUG] resources for exim

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 16:49:58 BST 2008

I'm currently looking after the company email server which is running
exim/sa-exim/ (and using vexim as a frontend). If anyone can point me to
some good reading - maybe even a book that would be much appreciated.  I've
read various FAQs some of which have been helpful..

The problem I'm currently trying to address is that we'd like to bounce
back messages sent from our company email addreses which are larger than
(say) 5meg and addressed to all at ouremail with a message suggesting that
clogging up the mail server is not kind and there are better ways of doing
this. I appear to be able to restrict incoming emails for users - but I'm
not sure how to trigger it on both the sender being 'local' and the
recipient being all at ... outsiders need to be able to send in humungous
emails (twitch!) and employees should be able to send them to outside and
small numbers of colleagues (clearly banning abuse of 'all' will not be
bulletproof we just want to make people think before doing it!)

Slightly complicated by being on a number of sites and our site has to use
a different smtp server which isn't controlled by us so email from
Manchester reaches our email server from outside but (usually!) with a
known received header (and from address).

I've not seen much spam coming in for our 'all' address do they try to
avoid such giveaway addresses as it would seem to be wide open from the
outside!

Thoughts, pointers?

Robert
--