[SC.LUG] Resolving DNS issue

Nev nev at nevstah.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 08:27:25 UTC 2009

Hiya

I've had this issue and the only answer I've cone up with is that some
routers can't handle this kind of request. Presumably a limitation of
the internal routing. I wouldn't imagine there's anything 'wrong'.
When I had the problem it was also with a netgear. Now I have a vigor
2820 :)

Nev

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 6, 2009, at 10:49 PM, Damian Parker <creativetux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not essentially a Linux issue but there might be someone with an
> answer out there.
>
> I have a Netgear router on the end of my ADSL connection. I have a
> domain name configured with the static IP of my connection.  Outside
> the LAN this works fine, inside it doesn't.
>
> However I did have a Linksys router previously and that allowed the
> domain to work from within the LAN, although probably sending traffic
> out and back in or whatever.  Currently I've got a local DNS server
> setup to override on the LAN that domain name resolving it with the
> local IP address and then forwarding everything else to the external
> DNS servers.  Im just wondering if anyone knows of an option on the
> netgear to allow it to behave like the linksys did.
>
> No big issue, just the current setup is a little messy.
>
> Thanks
>
> Damian

> --
> believed to be clean.