[SC.LUG] Recommended 'mini' laptop.

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Mon May 25 16:18:05 UTC 2009

2009/5/25 Simon Ward <simon at bleah.co.uk>:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:09:58PM +0100, Roger Gibson wrote:
>> I've a birthday coming soon, and wondered whether folks think that the
>> 'mini' lap top scene has stabilised,
>
> I think there is certainly more to come.
>
>> and if there is now a consensus on a short list of things to look at.
>
> I can only speak for the Eee PC 900.  If you’re going Eee, you’ll
> probably want the 901, although they have more in the pipeline.  Sadly,
> they’re becoming hard to get with GNU/Linux out of the box, but you can
> guarantee that everything works on it (not all free software: although
> free wireless drivers are available, I haven’t yet got them working
> satisfactorily on my Eee).

FWIW, I also have the 900 and I've been using the free ath5k wireless
driver for months now without any problems on Ubuntu and Cruncheee (an
Ubuntu variant running openbox).

I've also not had any problems with the keyboard. That said, I think
it's worth going into a shop at some point and trying out a few
different keyboards to see which suits you best - as usual YMMV.