[SC.LUG] Karmic zapped my GDM. Help!

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 11:12:17 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I upgraded to Ubuntu Karmic over the weekend and so far I've noticed
only 3 changes -

1) Faster Boot time  8-)
2) A few extra packages (largely unnecessary from my point of view) :-\
3) My pretty GDM screen, downloaded from gnome-look.org - has gone! :-(

The replacement GDM login screen is the new dark, murky Ubuntu default.
The brown's so dark it's almost black - deeply unattractive IMHO.

More to the point I can't change it via System > Administration > Login
Screen any more. Jaunty had 5 tabs here and plenty of options for
customising thie login screen while Karmic gives me no tabs and the only
option given here is to log in automatically or not.

Can someone advise me on a fix?

Thanks!

Matthew

P.S. - I mean a fix from within Karmic!! Cheeky suggestions to change
distro or GUI aren't helpful at this point! And yes I did try Debian but
it won't accept my network adapter.