[SC.LUG] Karmic zapped my GDM. Help!

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 14:37:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009, Matthew Tolley wrote:

> I upgraded to Ubuntu Karmic over the weekend and so far I've noticed
> only 3 changes -
>
> 1) Faster Boot time  8-)
> 2) A few extra packages (largely unnecessary from my point of view) :-\
> 3) My pretty GDM screen, downloaded from gnome-look.org - has gone! :-(
>
> The replacement GDM login screen is the new dark, murky Ubuntu default.
> The brown's so dark it's almost black - deeply unattractive IMHO.
>
> More to the point I can't change it via System > Administration > Login
> Screen any more. Jaunty had 5 tabs here and plenty of options for
> customising thie login screen while Karmic gives me no tabs and the only
> option given here is to log in automatically or not.
>
> Can someone advise me on a fix?

It is , apparently a feature - gdm themes no longer work, you can change
the colour and , umm, that's about it.

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/09/hack-karmics-gdm-login-screen.html

I thought I've been given kdm instead as I was running knoppix with a gdm
login screen. As that link says there will be a config utility but not yet

Do you have the button for configuring the window manager/enviroment to
login with on the login screen - I don't - and as I normally use fluxbox
but would like to see the kde changes I'm going to have to poke around to
change it...my wife's desktop does have the 'session' button but my laptop
is missing it!

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/