[SC.LUG] [Fwd: Re: [Liverpool] Royal mail petition re postcodes]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 7 22:57:10 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Liverpool] Royal mail petition re postcodes
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:49:01 +0100
From: Adrian McEwen
To: Liverpool Linux User Group <liverpool at mailman.lug.org.uk>

aidan mcguire wrote:

> http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/nfppostcodes/
>
> http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/05/ernest-marples-royal-mail-postcodes-legal-threat
> <http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/05/ernest-marples-royal-mail-postcodes-legal-threat>

If anyone wants to help out in a slightly more practical way, there's
always the <http://www.freethepostcode.org/> project which is looking
for people to enter postcodes and locations that they know, in a
lets-route-round-the-blockage kind of a way.

Liverpool is doing quite well on that so far - the initial aim is to get
a location for each major part and first digit of minor part of the
postcode, so for example L1 0xx L1 1xx up to L1 9xx.  Liverpool is top
of the list so far with L1, L2 and L19 complete, partly because John
McKerrell and I had a race to see who could map their home postcode area
first :-)

If anyone wants a J2ME app to use their phone's GPS to make submitting
postcodes easier, give me a shout - I've not got round to releasing it
yet, but I wrote one for my N95 8GB, and it should work on any phones
with built-in GPS and Java.

Adrian.