[SC.LUG] ISO Image dd To DVD+RW

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Feb 15 10:55:52 UTC 2010

Frank Mitchell <> wrote:
 > Latest issue of Linux Format Mag gives you a DVD ISO Image for FreeBSD v8.0,
 > which I happen to be interested in. I was also looking for an interesting use
 > for my DVD+RW disks. I read somewhere you could "dd" straight from an ISO
 > Image file to DVD+RW, though I couldn't remember where.

Don't know about Linux, but on FreeBSD you can use the growisofs tool
from the "dvd+rw" tools collection (ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools).
The syntax is simple:  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=dvdimage.iso
(/dev/cd0 is my dvd drive.)  I think you can also use the burncd
tool that is part of FreeBSD's base system, but I haven't tried to
do that.  growisofs works perfectly fine for me (it also handles
double-layer media (8.5 GB) correctly, BTW).

You cannot use dd for that purpose because dd doesn't have special
knowledge about the recording process, e.g. it doesn't know how to
determine the laser power, it doesn't know how to enable burn-proof,
it doesn't know how to fixate a CD or DVD, i.e. the session won't
be closed properly, and so on.  That's why a special-purpose tool
is better suited to handle recording of CD and DVD media.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The last good thing written in C was
Franz Schubert's Symphony number 9."