[SC.LUG] Fwd: [hsNW] Liverpool Maker Night - Jan 19th

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 17 22:14:59 UTC 2011

Another date for your diary :-)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[hsNW] Liverpool Maker Night - Jan 19th
From: 	Ross Jones <rossdjones at gmail.com>

Hello all,

Thought I had better send out a reminder about next weeks event with
slightly more detail.

We'll be meeting at the Art and Design Academy (directions and address -
http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/location/routeplanner.asp?id=92 ), on the 19th Jan
at around 6.30 for a 7 o'clock start - finishing at 8.45 so that we can
make it to a public house for post meeting refreshments.

As this is our first meeting at ADA and we'll hopefully be having some
students attend we're aiming to make it an introductory session so that
the students aren't dropped into a room full of geeks talking about
resistors and the finer points of TC54 usage. We're hoping that we can
initiate some cross-disciplinary use of the workshop as well as
introducing some fine art, design and architecture students to the joys
of making/hacking things. It's a great opportunity for us to get access
to their digital fabrication stuff, as well as the general workshop -
I'm personally hoping to learn some none-digital stuff from the students
that already know how to use the workshops.

The general structure of the evening is likely to be as follows, with
some obvious flexibility in timing if any talks run over.

1. Welcome - Adrian McEwen.
2. Housekeeping - Lol Baker.
3. Fabrication lightning talk - Andy Goodwin
4. Physical computing talk - Adrian McEwen
5. a. ARDx kits (introduction to Arduino), or
    b. Planning for those interested in building the Cupcake (when it
arrives), or
    c. General hacking for those that wish to do so.
6. Wrap up with Q&A on next event
7. Retire to public house for refreshments.

If anyone has anything they think they'd like to add to point 5 then
please let us know. If you're unsure what you could work on, or aren't
really sure where to begin, come anyway and I'm sure we can find a
project for you to do.  If you're thinking you'd rather just lurk, then
come and lurk in person - we're pretty friendly - honest!

It would be great if you could make it and please feel free to invite
anyone else you know who may be interested.  It's a great opportunity
for us to increase the membership and the breadth of knowledge of the
Liverpool hacking community, and hopefully provide a temporary but warm
space for us to hold our meetings while we're looking for space.

Ross.

Groups "North West Hackspace" group.
NW-hack-space+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at