[SLUG] Disc and print sharing with XP

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 21:31:06 GMT 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 18:08, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> > My point is networking is a hugh subject and applies to any OS
> > not just Linux.
> >
> >From an alternative point of view...
> <SNIP>
>
> I can't see him getting linux cranked up so easily.
>
> And moving onto more advanced server setup - just because it is
> difficult on windows doesn't mean it need be difficult on linux too.

My point is it can be complex subject generally regardless of operating
system and therefore difficult to provide a simple way of configuring
it through some magic do everything wizard; it's a massive subject area
with may inter-related parts. Secondly you don't need to go hand
editing files anywhere in Windows but it can still be difficult to set
things up if you don't understand the underlying concepts.

> We should be aiming higher... and if the geeks wish to do it the long
> way then fine; if my uncle wants to use linux then that should be
> fine too...

My argument to the above statement would be that Linux has actually
helped me understand the complexity that Windows tries to hide with
it's GUI. Therefore when something goes wrong, you have a much better
understanding of how to begin to sort it out, Windows or Linux, because
the underlying concepts are just the same.

>Not that I'm volunteering to write this wonderful configuration
>utility ;)

Awww!! Go on have a go. ;)

Regards,

Paul.