[SLUG] Digital camera

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 09:46:40 GMT 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 19:55, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Digital camera. I'm thinking, I should be able to mount it as a disc
> but it seems not. The digital camera tool gives a dropdown of lots of
> cameras but nothing by Pentax. I mean .. Pentax, hardly a way out
> camera manufacturer. Auto detect detects no camera.
>
> How can I download my piccies?
>
> Cheers

Hi John,

Which piece of software are you using to try and get the pictures off
your camera? Or are you just trying to mount the flash memory card and
use a file manager type program?

Does you camera use a USB connection to your PC or serial?

What model of camera is it?

I ask these questions because if it has some type of encryption or
special format on the card (like some Sony models do) it may be more
difficult to get going. This actually happened last week at the York
Linux install fest with one of those USB pen drives. (I know it's not a
camera memory card but they essentially the same technology).

With my camera (a Canon A70) you only need to plug it in to the USB port
and everything else is done automagically. You are correct in thinking
however that the flash memory in the camera is mounted it just does it
automatically via the usb hotplug module. I can then use camera
software (Digikam in my case) or copy the images directly from memory
via a file manager or indeed command-line.

If you give us a bit more information and what you've tried so far then
we'll try and get you going.

Cheers,

Paul.

--