[SLUG] Digital camera

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 10:59:31 GMT 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 10:12, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> gtkam 0.1.7

gtkam uses the libgphoto2 library. If you look in the currently supported
cameras list (on the stable version) there is not one mention of *any* Pentax
camera.

http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

The camera list also appears to be up-to-date :(

However it may now be supported in the bleeding-edge development releases?

> > Does you camera use a USB connection to your PC or serial?
>
> USB

You may still be able to use the USB Mass Storage driver of the kernel to
simply mount the flash drive and copy the images off it via a file manager.
However a bit of googling shows if you have an older kernel (<2.4.25) it
probably won't work unless you want to patch it (and you won't).

http://www.yashy.com/linux-pentax330gs.howto.txt

> Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush when I posted the message. Of course,
> I've managed it now in Windows (the same point yet again), but I'd
> still like to be able to do it in Linux. Then again, if it's something
> that will change when I upgrade my Linux, we may as well wait until
> then now that I've overcome the immediate problem.
>
> Cheers

If you are going to upgrade your Linux box you have a much better chance of
getting this working even if only through usb mass storage. Redhat 9 is quite
old now in Linux terms. I recommend Fedora Core 3, SUSE 9.2 and Mandrake 10.1
as the most user friendly Linux versions currently around. You may want to
try Fedora Code 3 because it will be the closest to Redhat 9 and your Redhat
9 book. If you need the disks I can get a copy for you as it was on this
months LXF magazine unless you just want to go out and buy the magazine (and
no I don't work for them :).

Cheers,

Paul.