[sclug] Where to buy cheap HP Omnibook laptops other URLS mentioned at LUG meet

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 18:45:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Daniel Lower wrote:

> The evening finished with a heated debate on whether it would be
> possible to write to cdroms as we do a floppy or a hd.
>
> Well after a little looking this guy is working on CD R/W interface
> at kernel level.
>
> http://www.advogato.org/person/axboe/
>
> interesting packet-writing new technology:
> http://packet-cd.sourceforge.net/

I believe these patches (or equivalent) are in 2.6. That said, the last time
I tried them with 4x media (it's quite difficult to find media faster than
that, and for a reasonable price) it was gawdawful slow, though.

The "Mt. Rainier" standard for writing CDs should be an improvement too -
but it wasn't in 2.6, as of May 2003.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?