[sclug] Downgrade apache 2 to 1.3 ssl problems...

James Packham mrjadeo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 15:07:20 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm downgrading apache 2 on my Redhat 9 server because I want to use a
cms that doesn't support apache 2 yet (2 causes problems with workflows
and general admin functions).

My problem is that once I've made and uninstalled and reinstalled apache
I can't start with ssl support:

# /usr/sbin/apachectl startssl
Syntax error on line 1071 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'SSLEngine', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration
/usr/sbin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

At first I thought it was maybe something to do with SSLEngine being an
apache 2 only command, Is this the case? The reason why I'm not so sure
it because httpd.conf (appears) to be a brand-new config file, generated
by the make; make install process.

This is how I've gone about it so far:

# apt-get remove httpd

(this removed httpd mod_auth_mysql mod_auth_pgsql mod_perl mod_python
mod_ssl php php-imap php-ldap php-manual php-mysql php-odbc php-pgsql
packages)

I didn't want to remove open-ssl or mysql because it seemed unnecessary
and, as I'm sure you can probably imagine, I have quite a few other
programs that depend on open-ssl in a system I also use as a
workstation!

Then download and configure mod_ssl with

./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.29/ (where my unpacked apache
sources are) --with-ssl --enable-shared=ssl

Then download and configure apache like so:

./configure SSL_BASE=/usr --with-layout=config.layout:RedHat
--enable-module=ssl --enable-shared=ssl --enable-module=rewrite
--enable-shared=rewrite --enable-module=so

Then make, make certificate, make install in the apache sources
directory

I haven't gotten around to sorting out php yet, I thought I'd do one
thing at a time - is this a good approach? I think the problem is most
likely because apache doesn't know where/how to use ssl, does this sound
about right?

Thanks in advance,

~James~