[sclug] KDE is driving me nuts!

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Wed Nov 12 18:39:54 UTC 2003

I have this wierd problem with KDE's system sounds. I've experienced
before with previous installations of Mandrake but it seemed to go away
of its own accord. Recently I wiped and reinstalled my Mandrake 9.1
installation and it's reappeared. Here's what happens:

When KDE first starts there are no system event sounds until I logout
and shut down KDE - at which point I hear the 'KDE is starting' sound.
That's it - nothing else in the way of system event sounds. I've checked
that After a few logins, for no apparent reason, the 'KDE is starting'
sound appears when it should, and thereafter all the usual sounds occur
at the appropriate events, including the 'KDE is closing' sound when I
log out. The next time I log in however it reverts to nothing until I
log out again, when I get the 'starting' sound instead of the 'closing'
sound. Most wierd.

I'm not claiming that this is a serious problem, but it has me
intrigued. It's almost as if the sounds are being delayed, or KDE is
getitng the events confused.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sure someone must know what is going on
here.

Neil Haughton