[sclug] Mandrake 9 and PHP upgrade

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 11:32:32 UTC 2003

Hello everyone.

I'm running Mandrake 9.0 which comes with PHP 4.2.3.  I've hit a
problem with the getimagesize() function and before I report a bug I
want to be sure it doesn't exist in the latest version (4.3.4).

So I've downloaded the source for 4.3.4, compiled, installed as per the
instructions, run "apachectl restart" several times and.. the PHP
application I'm trying to get working(the excellent gallery project
from sourceforge) still reports PHP version 4.2.3.

>From browsing around the web it appears that some versions of apache
run with PHP support bound in somehow and that therefore you need to
recompile apache when you upgrade PHP.  (At present I only have the
binary apache 1.3.26 that came with Mandrake).

I'm happy to give this a go, but before I trash my installation could
someone please tell me if my theory about bound-in PHP support could be
correct, and if there's any way to verify that it's the case with
Mandrake 9?  If not, why would my PHP upgrade not appear to work?

Thanks in advance,
James.