[sclug] Mandrake 9 and PHP upgrade

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Fri Nov 14 11:44:51 UTC 2003

* James Wyper <jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk> [2003-11-14 11:24:13]:

> So I've downloaded the source for 4.3.4, compiled, installed as per the
> instructions, run "apachectl restart" several times and.. the PHP
> application I'm trying to get working(the excellent gallery project
> from sourceforge) still reports PHP version 4.2.3.
>
> From browsing around the web it appears that some versions of apache
> run with PHP support bound in somehow and that therefore you need to
> recompile apache when you upgrade PHP.  (At present I only have the
> binary apache 1.3.26 that came with Mandrake).
>
> I'm happy to give this a go, but before I trash my installation could
> someone please tell me if my theory about bound-in PHP support could be
> correct, and if there's any way to verify that it's the case with
> Mandrake 9?  If not, why would my PHP upgrade not appear to work?

Yes, the difference is between linking these modules statically into
Apache, or using what's termed a 'DSO'.

Try running "apachectl -l" and if PHP is listed, then it's statically
linked into Apache and you'll have to upgrade Apache to fix it.

If you do that, try building Apache with DSO support, and building PHP
as a DSO as well, so that then your PHP will be a dynamic module, and it
can be upgraded in the future without having to touch Apache.

HTH

Matt
--
"Phased plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Hey, just what you see, pal."