[sclug] Re: ftp

sclug at whittycat.me.uk sclug at whittycat.me.uk
Mon Aug 23 10:20:24 UTC 2004

Keith Edmunds writes:

> Trust me on this: right up until the moment it is working, NEVER assume

Quite right. I am trying hard to be systematic. Since my last post I have
found out that I can use ftp in a DOS window in Windows ME (ahem!) and so
I can at least maintain my sites, if by a roundabout route, which somewhat
reduces my sense of desperation. ftp opens ports at the client end so it
seems that the modem will support active ftp in those circumstances.

What to try next? Since I am intending to attach my wireless router to this
modem I could instead buy a new wireless router with ADSL capability which
could be expensive if it turns out not to work any better. I could try a
different ISP (tiscali, phone coop, wanadoo?),  I could even spend the long
winter evenings trying to get ethereal installed.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Tony