[sclug] SCLUG Linux Day 2004

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 10:30:28 UTC 2004

I've set up a wiki page [1] for our local Linux Day / Software Freedom
Day event. I'm fairly confident we'll be able to have the same room at
the University of Reading that we had last time, so if you were there
you'll have some idea of the set-up I have in mind.

We'll have a few long tables around the edge of the room, and an
Internet feed coming in from somewhere (probably proxied to allow HTTP
access to mirror.ac.uk only). It's a common room, so there are plenty of
comfortable chairs on one side of the room, and there's a coffee / tea
bar to one side. There's also an attached lecture theatre that could be
used for giving talks.

If you think you'll be able to turn up on the 9th October, please list
the sort of things you'll be able to take with you. We're not just
interested in equipment, of course: you can think of this as a both a
LUG meeting and an opportunity to introduce people to Free Software.
However, we'll need things like CAT5 cables, hubs, power cables /
4-ways, desktop systems (examples of things like home office, DVD
playing, music sequencing or juke box software, GIMP), CD burning
facilities, fun server stuff (LAMP, wiki, routing / NAT / firewalling),
and anything else you can think of. There'll be ample car parking space
available outside the building.

Some other LUGs have got events going now: Tyneside have booked space in
Newcastle's Discovery Museum, Gloucestershire are in the process of
putting something together in Cheltenham, and Alex Butcher tells me the
Bristol lot are running one as well. I've set up a web site [2] with a
map showing event locations and links to details. It still needs some
work, so suggested improvements are welcome. If you fancy helping me
spread the word or securing venues and publicity, then that'd be nice
too. ;-)

S.

[1] http://wiki.earth.li/SCLUGLinuxDay2004
[2] http://www.triv.org.uk/linuxday/