[sclug] [OT] Solaris vs. Linux

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Sat Aug 28 17:07:32 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 00:25:49 +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
: Will Dickson wrote:

: | I recently acquired an old SPARC (thanks, Alan P :-)

: | After a looooong install process I've got Solaris 9 on it.

: I found the requirement for a 4GB SCSI disk was a little annoying when I
: installed Solaris 9 at home on a SPARC.

: | Now, it's not an entirely fair test (the SPARC is hugely less powerful
: | than my x86 box, and Sol 9 has very recently been replaced by Sol 10)
: | but if the Solaris desktop guys aren't scared of penguins, they ought to
: | be. (Solaris may well still be better on big iron OTOH.)

People generally don't run Solaris on the desktop, unless they're using a
SunRay terminal or somesuch.  I'm one of those that does (at work) and
yes, it's not exactly quick, but works well enough.

: That is completely unfair. Solaris runs like a dog on my SPARCstation
: (but it does run and it can just about play mp3 files without skipping)
: but it is running on much older hardware and I just accept that is that.
: However I do get annoyed with Sun that there is no GNU/Linux SMC[0].

Er, you actually *use* SMC?  Virtually nobody I know does...

: | Oh yeah, and Sun? Giving me Solaris on the grounds that I'm a developer
: | is a cool thing to do, and displays an insightful enlightened
: | self-interest. But then trying to sting me for $995 (!!?!) for the C
: | compiler so that I can actually *do* some development... isn't. And
: | doesn't. And since there's this little thing called GCC, I'm afraid your
: | scam isn't going to work, either. Nice try.

: The Sun compiler is probably ok if you like that sort of thing. I prefer
: using gcc and most other folks seem to agree.

Forte CC is vastly better at producing code than GCC ever will be.  OTOH,
lazy developers write gcc-specific code, which can make compiling
annoying.  Most packages don't, though.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.