[sclug] PCI Wireless adaptors for SUSE 9.0 and kernel updates

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Nov 25 13:37:52 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 01:42, Major Stuart wrote:
[...]
> I have done some research and apparently the D-LINK
> DWL G-520 will work straight out of the box with SUSE
> 9.2.  Is it difficult to upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2?

Is that a DWL-520, a DWL-520+, or something entirely different? I ask because
I bought a 520+ after having found out that the 520 was supported under
Linux, only to discover that the 520 and the 520+ have completely different
chipsets. Be careful!

For wireless access, these days I tend to use ndiswrapper
(http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/). This is a very neat piece of code that
allows you to use Windows drivers under Linux. It, basically, Just Works.
While native Linux drivers tend to be more efficient and use less memory, a
lot of modern cards don't have decent native Linux drivers and ndiswrapper
makes them usable. It works on most PCI and CardBus cards, and some USB ones.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "My days of taking you seriously are certainly
+- www.cowlark.com --+