[sclug] PCI Wireless adaptors for SUSE 9.0

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Nov 25 16:57:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 15:54, Major Stuart wrote:
[...]
> Have updated my kernel (now 2.4.21-243-athlon) and
> installed the correct driverloader from linuxant for
> my Linksys WMP54G PCI wireless adaptor.

You may also want to consider ndiswrapper; it does the same thing as
driverloader, and it's open source.

[...]
> I do not know what to put in for the Host Name or
> Domain Name, for the Routing, DHCP Client Options and
> for the Kernel module I have airo_cs.

airo_cs is a Linux native driver for an Aironet wireless card; you're using
Driverloader instead, so you don't need it.

> I also do not know what to put for any of the Wireless
> settings: Operating Mode, Network Name (ESSID),
> Network Identifier (NWID), Encryption Key or NIck
> Name.

The operating mode tells the card whether it's running in Access Point mode
(you have one or more access points that run the network) or Ad-Hoc mode (all
your computers run the network between them). Your wireless broadband adaptor
is almost certainly working as an access point.

Therefore, you'll need to set Access Point mode (also called Managed), and
then fill out the ESSID and encryption settings to match those on the access
point. If you don't get them right, they simply won't talk to each other.

You probably have some program somewhere to configure the access point --- use
that and you should be able to work out the settings.

> With regard to the hardware, I have a green light on
> the back of my card, so I know it has power!

This is always a good sign...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "I concluded from the beginning that this would be
+- www.cowlark.com --+