[sclug] Re: sclug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 16

Sandeep Varma darker.trooper at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:27:19 UTC 2004

>Message: 1
>Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:52:16 -0000
>From: "Neil Owens" <neil_o at ntlworld.com>
>Subject: Re: [sclug] Re: Gentoo Adventure
>To: <sclug at sclug.org.uk>
>
>2004.3 works!!!
>
>emerging KDE took nearly 36 hours on a 1GHz 256MB Tosh laptop - and that's
>after the net connection dropped out (NTL 'upgrade'), causing the emerge to
>barf half way through.  Moral - download everything first, them compile it.
>
>Still, Gentoo takes a stupidly long time to install.  I hope it's worth it.
>
>Neil

And you're lucky you got there in the first place! I barely got
anywhere near it.

I think there's an argument to add to the emerge command which
downloads ALL the archives with dependancies and then compiles them,
I'm not too sure on the specifics, it's most probably in the man page.
Anyhow, good luck! Hopefully it'll be worth it, and you'll make a
whole lot more use of Gentoo than I did.