[sclug] Gentoo...

Darren Davison darren at davison.uk.net
Sun Nov 28 20:15:00 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 13:53, Dickon Hood wrote:

> And there's certainly nothing stopping you doing that anyway when using
> one of the 'binary' precompiled distributions: just download the source
> .debs / .rpms (your poison of choice) and recompile with all the
> optimisation flags you want.

The point being perhaps that it's less usual to do so - hence the comparison
between a pre-compiled distro that's upgraded in one hit (with the
exception maybe of interim security patches or what have you) and Gentoo
that's often constantly in flux from one day to the next.

> 'Gentoo users' computers don't run slowly because they're running
> unoptimised software.  Gentoo users' computers run slowly because they're
> constantly recompiling everything.' -- I forget who said that.

hehe.  It's a common thing to throw at Gentoo - a little unfairly perhaps.
It's not that the same versions of software are constantly being
RE-compiled, it's that software is constantly being upgraded and part of
the Gentoo fun is being on the bleeding edge.  However, nothing forces you
to upgrade or re-compile any piece of software that you don't wish to
unless it's a hard dependency of something you ARE upgrading, and the tools
are capable enough to cope with any and all preferences.

Best wishes,

--
Darren Davison
Public Key: #DD356B0D