[sclug] Hello

Paul Weaver iso at isorox.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 09:18:07 UTC 2004

Good morning campers! I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself.

I recently moved to Twyford after serving some time living in London.
Sadly I still work here (Shepherds Bush), but at least I dont have to
suffer it at night or the weekend (unless on shift!)

Before that I was at Exeter Uni, and a member of DCLUG for a few years.
I've been running Linux for about 5 years now, and have 3 systems at
home, an old laptop running debian which hosts my mail, DNS, mysql
webserver etc, and potentially NIS soon, a PVR running knoppmyth, and a
laptop on Suse.

At work I dont get much opportuntiy to play with linux systems - we are
pretty much a microsoft shop, partly because not many of the engineers
know much about linux (or windows to that matter, but managment think
that being able to load Word means you can admin a cluster of Server
2003 boxes - a redundant cluster that I managed to accidently break, and
destroy the redundent raid on, in about 20 minutes, but that's another
story. We do have a half-dozen machines running a cut-down
"appliance-like" version of redhat, I am, however, taking opportunity to
learn about Solaris, which we run jboss on.

Well, that's me anyway, I should get back to work and break something.