[sclug] Janino, Maven, and the LGPL

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Tue Nov 30 12:06:11 UTC 2004

I've had cause to use Janino [1], an embedded Java compiler, as a
dependency for another bunch of code. I downloaded it in the form of a
JAR file [2] from the Maven repository [3] on ibiblio.org, along with
its licence [4] (GNU LGPL 2.1).

According to my understanding of section 4 of the LGPL, the source code
for Janino should accompany the binary JAR file. However, I can't find
the corresponding source anywhere on ibiblio.org. This means that I
can't redistribute Janino myself.

So are the LGPL terms not being observed? Who's responsible: ibiblio.org
or the person who uploaded Janino to the Maven repository? Have I missed
something about how Maven works?

S.

[1] http://www.janino.net/
[2] http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/janino/jars/janino-2.0.5.jar