[sclug] Janino, Maven, and the LGPL

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 12:52:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Simon Heywood wrote:

> I've had cause to use Janino [1], an embedded Java compiler, as a
> dependency for another bunch of code. I downloaded it in the form of a
> JAR file [2] from the Maven repository [3] on ibiblio.org, along with
> its licence [4] (GNU LGPL 2.1).
>
> According to my understanding of section 4 of the LGPL, the source code
> for Janino should accompany the binary JAR file. However, I can't find
> the corresponding source anywhere on ibiblio.org. This means that I
> can't redistribute Janino myself.
>
> So are the LGPL terms not being observed? Who's responsible: ibiblio.org
> or the person who uploaded Janino to the Maven repository?

ibiblio.org are the ones distributing to you, therefore they're the ones
responsible for making the source available to you. Similarly, whoever
uploaded it to Maven is reponsible for making it available to Maven and
ibiblio.

BTW: <http://www.janino.net/download/janino-2.0.16-src.zip>

> S.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?