[sclug] Janino, Maven, and the LGPL

Paul Weaver iso at isorox.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 13:36:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:06:07PM +0000, Simon Heywood wrote:
> According to my understanding of section 4 of the LGPL, the source code
> for Janino should accompany the binary JAR file. However, I can't find
> the corresponding source anywhere on ibiblio.org. This means that I
> can't redistribute Janino myself.

IANAL, YMMV, etc. I believe the source code does not need
to be distributed with the program, only the offer of source code. If
you ask the distributer for the code, they must send it (although may
charge a reasonable fee to cover the cost of providing the CD and
postage)

"6c) Accompany the work with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give the same user the materials specified in Subsection 6a,
above, for a charge no more than the cost of performing this
distribution."

Note that althoug having source code in the same place as the object
code satisfies the "distribution of source" clause, it's not neccersary, as long as a writen invitation is given. Has it been?

Ultimatly, just ask the distributer for the source, in 90% of these
cases it's just a SNAFU they're happy to rectify.