[sclug] Domains, email web hosting

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Wed Apr 6 13:23:22 UTC 2005

> The only true alternative imo would be to use;
>
> IMAP for email
> LDAP for contact information
> iCAL for calender exchanges
>
> Still not as "all in one" and integrated into Outlook as
> Exchange is (for obvious reasons).
>
> There are hosting companies (not mine) that will happily
> provide you space on a hosted Exchange server, if you drop me
> an email off of the list I can point you in their direction.
>
> Just my pennies worth.

There are many open-source alternatives to exchange, but none that are drop
in replacements. FWIW you cant even get Outlook to use NT auth to an IMAP
server unless you're using exchange. This rules out any single sign on
(unless you go down the route of a 'proprietry' exchange replacment).

Chris

believed to be clean.