[sclug] Tshirt - destruction of windows

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Apr 21 21:04:30 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 17:55, Tim Sutton wrote:
[...]
> I am hoping to do it in about 8 lines of rampant shell violence on the
> windows partition... If anyone has any previous experience in psychotic
> behaviour using a unix shell and would like to assist me I would be most
> grateful...

cp /mnt/registry.dat /tmp/muhahaha
(head -c `head -c 2 /dev/random | od -t u2 | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | head -1` && dd
bs=1 count=1 conv=ebcdic && cat) < /tmp/muhahaha > /mnt/registry.dat

Not terribly exciting --- it converts a random byte somewhere in the registry
into EBCDIC --- but it should do the job. It even uses real entropy, on most
Linux systems.

(Is there a standard Unix tool that will modify a file in place? That would be
a much better solution. And is the Windows registry actually at
C:/registry.dat? I forget.)

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+