[sclug] Tshirt - destruction of windows

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Apr 22 01:00:11 UTC 2005

Hi

On Thursday 21 April 2005 18:21, David Given wrote:
> On Thursday 21 April 2005 17:55, Tim Sutton wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I am hoping to do it in about 8 lines of rampant shell violence on the
> > windows partition... If anyone has any previous experience in psychotic
> > behaviour using a unix shell and would like to assist me I would be most
> > grateful...
>
> cp /mnt/registry.dat /tmp/muhahaha
> (head -c `head -c 2 /dev/random | od -t u2 | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | head -1` &&
> dd bs=1 count=1 conv=ebcdic && cat) < /tmp/muhahaha > /mnt/registry.dat
>
> Not terribly exciting --- it converts a random byte somewhere in the
> registry into EBCDIC --- but it should do the job. It even uses real
> entropy, on most Linux systems.

Cool :-)

> (Is there a standard Unix tool that will modify a file in place? That would
> be a much better solution. And is the Windows registry actually at
> C:/registry.dat? I forget.)

perl -pie?

I was hoping to maximise use of bash words like:

cut
kill
head
bash

etc...to make the end of windows appear suitable unpleasant....hosing the
registry seems like a good place to start though :-)

Tim
--

Procrastination
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."