[sclug] Display graphical desktop session of remote machine?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 06:56:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

> Not sure how to even explain what I'm after succinctly.
>
> I have SuSE with KDE running on this machine, and ubuntu with gnome on my
> other box. On this machine I can 'switch user' and run another completely
> separate graphical session on a different vty (switching between sessions
> with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 etc). These extra sessions run on the local
> box but I'd like to be able to run a session from the other box displayed on
> this one, i.e. use one graphical session on this machine as an X server for a
> display manager and apps on the ubuntu machine.

Sounds like you want to configure the display manager to manage the X server
on the other machine using XDMCP.
<http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO.html> looks like a good
starty.

> Alternatively it might be OK (maybe even better) if I could run a gdm session
> from the other machine within a window on my kde session on this one (as I
> have done in the past with some X servers or a VNC client running on a
> windoze box connected to *n*x machines).

Look into Xnest, which is an X server that runs as an X client (i.e.
application) under an existing X session.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?