[sclug] Display graphical desktop session of remote machine?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Apr 25 21:49:40 UTC 2005

Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

>> Alternatively it might be OK (maybe even better) if I could run a gdm
>> session from the other machine within a window on my kde session on
>> this one (as I have done in the past with some X servers or a VNC
>> client running on a windoze box connected to *n*x machines).
>

> Look into Xnest, which is an X server that runs as an X client (i.e.
> application) under an existing X session.

Any idea how I can drive it from the other machine?

Xnest :2
	on the local (SuSE) box brings up a blank X window, and
xterm -display :2
	or
xterm -display local-machine:2
	on the local machine brings up an xterm within the Xnest window.
However the Xterm doesn't have a title bar and I can't type into it -
just get beeps from the kbd - though ^D does terminate it).

Now I want to start up another desktop graphical session on the remote
(ubuntu) machine and get it to display in the Xnest window, but I can't
see how to do that - ?

--
John Stumbles