[sclug] DHCP and DNS

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 02:52:10 UTC 2005

Like so many answers "it depends",

In this case it depends how much control you have over your DNS.
It also depends on what version of bind you run.
Finally it depends on weather you have a fixed IP on your broadband
link.

I you have to run bind 9.  You then use views to present differing
results.

I do a similar thing to what you want to do.

I use IpCop 1.4.5 it does the dhcp for me.  I configure it to assign ip
addresses according to the mac address.

I point IpCop at my DNS server. When queried from my ip address any host
on my internal lan is returned a private IP address.  i.e. 192.168.1.2
But any other hosts asking for a host on my private lan get the public
IP address of the IpCop firewall.  ( I understood that you should not
publish private addresses to the outside world. )

http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/views_0501.html

For a more detailed explaination.

Regards,
Tom