[sclug] DHCP and DNS

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Mon Apr 25 08:33:52 UTC 2005

> The problem is that my LAN hosts provide various services to
> each other, so they need to be able to resolve each other's
> names. I assumed (without, I confess, having really thought
> it through) that the DHCP server would wave some kind of
> magic wand and make this work. However, it doesn't.
>
> There seem to be two possibilities here: a) this ought to
> work, and I've cocked up somewhere; b) I'm asking for the
> moon on a stick, and if I want this to happen I'm going to
> have to put in some actual effort.
A:.

In my /etc/bind/named.conf.local (BIND 9, Debian sarge), in my zone files I
have:

zone "svs.co.uk" {
        type master;
        file "db.svs.co.uk";
        allow-update { 127.0.0.1; };
        notify no;
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.192.168.0";
        allow-update { 127.0.0.1; };
        notify no;
};

The allow update bit ensures that the zone files can be updated by
localhost.

In /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf (DHCPD3) I have the following:

# The ddns-updates-style parameter controls whether or not the server will
# attempt to do a DNS update when a lease is confirmed. We default to the
# behavior of the version 2 packages ('none', since DHCP v2 didn't
# have support for DDNS.)

ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

The ignore client updates means that when the client sends it's FQDN, it is
ignored, and it's hostname is prepended to the  domian name held by DHCPD.

HTH

Chris

believed to be clean.