[sclug] DHCP and DNS

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 08:47:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Matt wrote:

> * Will Dickson <wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk> [2005-04-25 01:39:44]:
>>
>> The problem is that my LAN hosts provide various services to each other,
>> so they need to be able to resolve each other's names. I assumed
>> (without, I confess, having really thought it through) that the DHCP
>> server would wave some kind of magic wand and make this work. However,
>> it doesn't.

[snip]

> You need to investigate Dynamic DNS. You can configure ISC dhcpd to send
> updates to a running BIND named so when a client gets a lease, their
> hostname goes into the DNS zone, etc.

IMNSHO, machines providing services should be assigned static IP addresses
(which could well be done by DHCP, based on MAC address) and those static IP
addresses linked with static A records in the DNS.

Of course, for a home network, do what the hell you like. :-)

> Matt

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?