[sclug] Reply-to: sclug?

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 22:10:40 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 13:23 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:
> Having yet again cluelessly replied to the sender of a message rather
> than the list can I suggest/request that whoever maintains this list set
> it so that messages from the list have either From: or Reply-to: the list?
>
> Or has this been discussed & dismissed before for some reason?

Well this is a bit of a holy war. :-)

But I really don't think there is a single solution.  Majordomo tried to
fix this with an option that allowed each subscriber to make a personal
choice.  Unfortunately MailMan does not offer such an option AFAICS.

As a user of Evolution I right click the message and get the choice for
a non-list message I just get a "Reply To Sender" or a "Replay to All"
but for a list message I also get a "Reply to List" option.

On one list I subscribe to they had screwed up the RFC 2369 headers such
that the "Reply to List" generated a bad address for the list. They (The
Administrators) claimed that the headers were correct.  Rather than
argue the toss with them I added a procmail recipe to correct the munged
header.

It should be pretty trivial to do the same to add a Reply-To: if you
really want.

Regards,
Tom.