[sclug] Reply-to: sclug?

Alan Cocks aeclist at candt.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 08:46:11 UTC 2005

Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 13:23 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:
>
>>Having yet again cluelessly replied to the sender of a message rather
>>than the list can I suggest/request that whoever maintains this list set
>>it so that messages from the list have either From: or Reply-to: the list?
>>
>>Or has this been discussed & dismissed before for some reason?
>>

> Well this is a bit of a holy war. :-)
>
> But I really don't think there is a single solution.  Majordomo tried to
> fix this with an option that allowed each subscriber to make a personal
> choice.  Unfortunately MailMan does not offer such an option AFAICS.
>
> As a user of Evolution I right click the message and get the choice for
> a non-list message I just get a "Reply To Sender" or a "Replay to All"
> but for a list message I also get a "Reply to List" option.
>
> On one list I subscribe to they had screwed up the RFC 2369 headers such
> that the "Reply to List" generated a bad address for the list. They (The
> Administrators) claimed that the headers were correct.  Rather than
> argue the toss with them I added a procmail recipe to correct the munged
> header.
>
> It should be pretty trivial to do the same to add a Reply-To: if you
> really want.
>
> Regards,
> Tom.

I am beginning to think (for me anyway) it is something to do with my
recent use of Thunderbird. TB does not yet have a facility to recognise
my use of a mail list in newsgroup form. My previous mail news client
did, and presented all the useful options. Now I am aware of the prob I
have made a statement on the TB group and would expect - given time - it
would get sorted. Although I can work along without it but it is
inconvenient. I hope to stay with TB for its cross platform ability and
its open source status too - I am in process of getting from doze to suse.
--
Alan Cocks Berkshire UK