[sclug] Linux to linux file sharing

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Thu Feb 10 23:58:49 UTC 2005

In the process of setting up a new file server and workstation, both
running Debian Sarge. I want to set up file sharing between them so that
the workstation can easily edit files directly on the server.

Seems to me it's a bit daft using samba for this purpose, as there's no
Windows involved, so I just spent some time figuring out NFS. This has
the benefit of the exports appearing as a locally mounted drive on the
workstation, which is really neat.

Unfortunately, the way NFS handles permissions leaves a lot to be
desired. Basically it would seem ignore groups and file ownership, and
rely totally on file permissions. I'm not really keen on making all the
files world writable.

Is there a good alternative to NFS that handles permissions in a nicer
way? Ideally I'd like the workstation to be challenged to authenticate
as a user local to the server.

I struggle to believe that this is the pinnacle of 'nix file sharing ;)

cheers

drew.