[sclug] Linux to linux file sharing

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 00:16:48 UTC 2005

Quoting Drew McLellan (lists at allinthehead.com):

> Unfortunately, the way NFS handles permissions leaves a lot to be
> desired. Basically it would seem ignore groups and file ownership, and
> rely totally on file permissions. I'm not really keen on making all the
> files world writable.

I'm not sure the above paragraph actually makes sense, but it looks like
you're doing it wrong.  NFS fully implements user/group/world file
access rights, modulo any modification made via mount/export options.

I suggest you post examples of your configuration and explain what doesn't
work.

> I struggle to believe that this is the pinnacle of 'nix file sharing ;)

NFS has a whole bundle of problems associated with it, many of which
most people will never encounter.  This, however, isn't one of them :)

James