[sclug] Hands on days

Graham Swallow lists at Information-Cascade.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 19:45:28 UTC 2005

Equipment wanted:

	overhead projector
	sheets or roll of OHP-film to keep and write up later
	pens (I dont have any)

	SVGA projector, with X11-640x480 scrolling over 1kx1k (to show code snippets)

	dial-up would enable last minute fetches
	source to Pyton, Tcl, XXX, loaded, (DVD-src)

> > Also what ideas do folks have that we could do ?

	Without any preparation, I can do a tolerable presentation on

		Tcl + Python
		scripting + extensions
		suggestions for sanity

	with preparation time, I can be very lazy and turn up without preparation.
	Others that I might be able to do:

		C++ intro
		IPTables firewall intro
		SGML processing with SP, HTML generation using SPIN_py
		HP/UX, AIX, Solaris, non-linux system monitoring (for those who must)

	Talks that I would like to attend:

		LDAP - capabilities and howto
		CVS - common usage guidelines
		GIMP flypast - after crop and save as ...
		XML direct to browser
		MySQL - replication, clusters, admin, using
		CMS - the easiest + best available, what-is and how
		SSL - how to use from C, what to call
		JAVA libraries - list of whats available
		Kernel-2.6 - whats happenned since 1.3
		Kernel-2.6 - whats tunable
		MPEG3 - which formats are good for what, how, TVR?
		APP/DEV/API - why we need it, what it is, how to use it,

Ways to help prepare:

	If we can build a sorted list of FAQ's (even without answers),
	the volanteer can run through them. EG someone confident with GIMP
	can easily demo:

		convert 2MB to 60K png
			crop
			fewer colours