[sclug] laptop

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Thu Feb 24 10:50:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:39:47 +0200
tim <tim at holmes.name> wrote:

> cpu as fast as possible, I have seen some laptops with the AMD 64 bit
> chips and that sounded good.

A purely personal opinion: I'd avoid bleeding edge technology in a laptop.
You'll pay a hefty price premium for it, and there will, almost by
definition, be far few owners running Linux on such a system. In fact, the
above is pretty much incompatible with your earlier statement:

> Linux. I dont want to spend hours getting stuff like screens , modems,
> dvd drives etc working. I like playing about with Linus but would rather
> choose what.

I think you need to choose between which of the two quoted paragraphs is
more important to you. Do you want an AMD64 because you are doing intensive
processing work (in which case just go for a desktop PC) or because it's
the latest and greatest? No problem with the latter as a reason, but
recognise the price you'll pay in both ??? and time if you go that way.

Keith