[sclug] Recommendations for mail server

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Thu Jan 13 23:30:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 23:08:08 +0000, Matt wrote:
: On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 22:17, Dickon Hood wrote:

: > If you have some sort of firewall box at the moment, you can, to remove
: > the authentication requirement for outbound SMTP, run an ssh tunnel from
: > port 25 on that, to port 25 on localhost on your mail server.  I'm
: > something of a fan of ssh tunnels, though, and tend to abuse them at every
: > opportunity.  Just be careful to disallow external connections to port 25;
: > you don't want to become an open relay.

: Hmm, TCP inside TCP. Not pleasant for anything remotely permanent.

Er, no.  You connect to localhost, it transparently forwards that to the
other end, which makes an onward connection.  There's no tunneling of that
sort involved.

PP[T]P over SSH, OTOH, is another matter, and one which has its uses.
Albeit not good uses...

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.