[sclug] RE: Newbie, partitioning 120Gb HDD - recommendations?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Fri Jan 14 22:36:42 UTC 2005

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:57:04 -0000, Douglas Brown <Douglas.Brown at uk.com> wrote:
>
>>>Now here's the killer. I need to get going quickly (deadlines coming up).
>>
>>Can anyone think of any sources of information or guide lines?
>

> I just installed on a 200GB disk, and just created one big / and some
> swap, thats all. Some people would have you create a /, /usr, /home,
> /var etc but I dont bother.

I think the argument for not putting _everything_ under / is that
if/when you want to install another OS/verion/whatever you can put that
on another smallish partition leaving all your non-OS-related /home
stuff untouched.

> If you did, why not just follow the guideline for the 20GB disk you
> found and have the rest for /home. That's what you're most likely to
> fill up.

I have:
/dev/hde8              13G  6.0G  6.5G  48% /
/dev/hde7              29G   21G  6.0G  78% /home

Fair number of apps on /, could do with more space on /home :-(

If I had more space (or another HDD) I'd leave a partition (ideally on a
separate disk) for backups.

hth

--
John Stumbles                                      mobile 0780 866 8204
plumbing:heating:electrical:property maintenance     home 0118 954 2406