[sclug] RedHat Software Raid

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 00:33:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:23:23 +0000 (GMT)
> Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I recall using raidhotadd in the past, but it appears to be deprecated in
>> FC3, leaving mdadm as the only official way of administering an md RAID
>> set.
>
> Interesting: I wasn't aware of that. It does seem that RH are trying to
> reduce the number of variables (or "choice" if I'm being uncharitable) - I
> was amazed to find that the editor 'joe' is not included in RHWS anymore.

joe hasn't been installed by default for a long time, but I'd be surprised
if it was gone from the distro entirely; only today, I was reading some
posts on fedora-devel about the possibility of moving joe from fedora-core
to fedora-extras. As a fellow joe-aholic, this is something I care about.
;-)

> Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to start using mdadm again if I come
> across a RH system with s/w RAID...

And, for better or for worse, most distros seem to end up following RH
and/or Debian eventually...

> Keith

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?