[sclug] Thin Clients

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 13:13:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Scott Rixon wrote:

> I got my hands on Windows XP Embedded Thin Client yesterday.. It got me
> thinking...
>
> Why would anyone put XP embedded in a thin client? It's just a 'node' so who
> care what it runs? Use Linux and you don't have any licensing costs..

I can't fault that logic. ;-)

I suspect that the reasoning goes that Windows is a recognised desktop
brand. If the thin clients ran Linux, their customers might get scared that
they were 'migrating to Linux on the desktop'.

<http://pxes.sourceforge.net/>

> Thoughts? Experiences? If you ran one of these in an office you could have a
> Windows TS server for all the legacy apps?!? I think there could be some
> really power here...
>
> Scott

Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?